Is it just me, or did winter totally sneak up on us this year? I feel like the weather has been so pleasant for so long that I had forgotten that winter was even on the way. And then Saturday morning I woke up to snow on the ground and freezing temperatures, and it was a total shock. It's almost December? How did that happen? The only positive in all of this is that I can finally unashamedly eat soup several nights a week! I love soup like crazy, and this cheesy vegetable chowder is one of the best! It's easy to make, packed full of vegetables, and deliciously cheesy. My daughter Lizzy (who has been subsisting on about two bites of food per meal for weeks now) actually cleaned her bowl, then asked for seconds. That's pretty much unheard of for her lately, so it's a ringing endorsement of this soup's deliciousness!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces frozen corn
adapted from Little Red Hen
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet. When the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk to form a paste. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Let the mixture cook for a few minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- When the vegetables are cooked, pour the milk mixture into the pot and stir to combine. Add the corn and heat 3-4 minutes, or until warmed through.